Peaceful, democratic revolution our ultimate goal: Dr Tahir-ul-Qadri
- Says he would lay down his life but would not give up on his struggle for revolution
- Workers exercised patience and self-restraint in the wake of Model Town carnage
- Asks all political and religious parties to work in unison for restoration of Constitution
- Addresses press conference from Canada through a video link
PAT leader Dr Muhammad Tahir-ul-Qadri has said that he would rather sacrifice his life but would not budge an inch from his stated goal of revolution. He said that even if the oppressors broke all hell loose on him, he would neither be scared nor forced to yield. He said that with the martyrdoms of the workers, the constitutional, democratic and people’s revolution had begun. He said that the Model Town carnage represented the height of terrorism, savagery and oppression committed by the rulers and extreme amount of patience and restraint exercised by PAT workers. He said that PAT did not resort to violent revenge in the wake of the Lahore tragedy but staged peaceful protests by holding Quran khawanis, looking after the injured and expressing solidarity with the bereaved families over the martyrdoms of their near and dear ones. He asked all religious and political parties to work in unison in the struggle for restoration of democracy and Constitution because it was a movement of the people and Pakistan. He said that the Prime Minister was sent home for a minor contempt, while no action was ordered against those who perpetrated state terrorism on unarmed innocent people.
Dr Tahir-ul-Qadri expressed these views while addressing a press conference at party’s central secretariat from Canada through a video link.
He said that the oppressive rulers committed worst ever savagery on the peaceful workers of Pakistan Awami Tehreek whose parallel could not be found in Pakistan’s 65-year history after Jallianwala Bagh during the British era. He said that the heavy handed policy action led to 14 martyrdoms. He said that 90 people sustained serious injuries while 200 more were missing, adding that despite this savagery, no concrete action had been taken against the perpetrators of these horrible crimes. He said that to add insult to injury, the cruel rulers got FIR registered against the oppressed and the wronged instead.
Dr Tahir-ul-Qadri said that the purpose of his movement was restoration of democracy and the Constitution that would put Pakistan on the path to development and prosperity. He said that implementation of the Articles 1-40 of the Constitution would pave the way for dispensation of socio-economic justice, equality of rights and opportunities and devolution of powers at the grass-roots.
Paying glowing tributes to his workers, Dr Qadri said that they remained disciplined, peaceful and law-abiding in the event of the Model Town massacre, adding had they wanted they would have spread chaos in the country through violent protests. He said that true to their tradition, they set a high benchmark of patience, and self-restraint and proved that revolution was their ultimate destination.
Dr Tahir-ul-Qadri said that the rulers had launched propaganda by misinforming people that PAT’s struggle was against the Constitution and democracy. He said that the first three points of ten-point revolutionary agenda promised to deliver ‘Rotti, Kapra and Makan’ to the masses the way Zulifkar Ali Bhutto did. He said that the institutions were under political pressure, stating that even FIR filed by PAT was not being registered after such a great display of state terrorism. He said that high-powered Commission consisting of three judges of honourable Supreme Court was constituted after assassination attempt on Hamir Mir, while establishment of one-member Commission consisting of a High Court Judge was considered to suffice at the massacre of dozens of people, which was ridiculous, adding that PAT rejected the Commission.
PAT, MQM, PTI, PML, SIC, PPP & MWM issue joint declaration
The leaders of Pakistani Awami Tehreek (PAT), Mutthida Qaumi Movement, (MQM), Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI), Pakistan Muslim League (PML), Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) and Majlis-e-Wahdat-ul-Muslameen (MWM) addressed a press conference in the wake of the Model Town carnage. The following declaration was issued at the occasion:
- The Model Town tragedy took place at the behest of the government. It was the worst ever example of state terrorism, savagery, and massacre.
- The arrested workers of PAT should be released and fake FIR registered against them by Police itself should be withdrawn and those missing should be found out.
- All those nominated in application filed by PAT should immediately resign from their positions.
- Administration and police officials responsible for the Lahore tragedy should be suspended forthwith.
- A three-member high-powered Commission consisting of the Supreme Court judges should be constituted that should mete out exemplary punishment to those found responsible for the tragedy after holding investigation into the incident by a Joint Investigation Team consisting of MI, ISI, and IB officials.
- Impartial inquiry should also be held into the cruel killing of MQM legislator Tahira Asif, the killers should be arrested and conspiracy behind attack on her should be unearthed.